Saturday 16 July 2011

Venezia. Day 3.

Saturday morning was another glorious day to get out and about early to take photos. Anthony joined me at 6.30 am for a walk to the Rialto bridge. I've said it many times before, I love Venice, especially in the early morning. The light is amazing, there are very few people about, and it is still nice and cool.










Another trip was planned to the Rialto markets to purchase more delicacies for dinner that night, so whilst some went hunting and gathering, others went on a cultural journey through the Doge's palace to learn about Secret passageways and the escape of Casanove from prison in Venice sometime in the 1500's. (sorry I can't give dates, far too much information on a reeeaallly hot day.) For my patchwork friends, I purchased a book on the Terrazzo floor designs in Venice, lots of inspiration for future projects!!!



Every second year Venice hosts an arts festival, Biennale. As it happens Paul comes to Venice every second year, and makes a point to check it all out. Apparently there are artistic exhibits from many countries, including Australia, mostly modern or contemporary art, so not really my cup of tea.



This "art" was in fact just plasticene that the visitors modeled into their own designs, so not much inspiration from the actual "artist".


An upturned army tank provides a running track for an athlete every hour.


"Talking Heads"

Anthony and I went to the Peggy Gugenheim museum of modern art. The art itself didn't do much for me, but it was very interesting to see the villa she lived in, right on the Grand Canal.
I also managed to find my friend Marco. When we were in Venice in 2007, I bought some charcoal drawings from him, done with a 2inch piece of charcoal on a piece of white paper. He seems to always be at the Accademia Bridge, and on a very hot afternoon, I found him again. He creates stunning drawings from very simple materials, and they look fantastic. They are also very inexpensive, the framing will cost about 10 times what I paid for the sketches!!!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment